Winterize Your Home
— 2 minute read
7 Ways to Winterize Your Home
Winter is coming, and we want you to be prepared for it. As the weather gets colder, extreme temperature changes can wreak havoc on your home’s structure—causing issues such as ice dams or destruction from hail and heavy snow. By following these tips to winterize your home, you can save on heating costs and prevent potential damages from occurring.
Stay Ahead of Storms
- Seal doors and windows: Adding weatherstripping to your drafty door and window systems can help keep cold air out of your home.
- Make sure your gutters are not clogged: Clogged gutters can cause ice dams to form. This can cause damage to your roofing system and are difficult to clear. Refer to our blog for more tips on gutter cleaning here.
- Check your roof: Look for any existing cracks, mold, or missing shingles on your roofing system—this may be a sign it needs to be repaired or replaced. In addition, you’ll want to look for any signs of leaks or water damage. It’s important to have a strong roofing system installed to protect against damage.
- Inspect and clean your fireplace: Get your chimney, fireplace, and flue serviced. Make sure to check for any damages, and have any soot or debris removed.
- Protect your pipes: Subfreezing temperatures can cause your pipes to burst and crack. Insulate your pipes and have leaks sealed.
- Test your generator: Be prepared for any winter storms or power outages by making sure your generator is operating properly.
- Make your home energy-efficient: Energy-efficient window and door systems will add a great deal of protection to your home as well as provide you with energy savings. Consider having energy-efficient windows, doors, roofing, and siding materials installed in your home.
Now when Punxsutawney Phil tells you there’s going to be six more weeks of winter, you’ll be prepared! At Summit Roofing, we have the tools and expertise to help protect your home. To learn more about our services, contact us today. We’ll make sure to provide long-lasting solutions to your roofing, gutter, and siding systems.